Thursday, August 17, 2017

BEHR'S COLOR OF THE YEAR 2018

IN THE MOMENT
I subscribe to a few blogs and postings. They show up regularly in my email inbox; sometimes it's welcome, sometimes it's annoying. The ones I like most are the ones that limit their posts to one a day because there are a few that hit me two, three or four times a day. I can usually breeze through the ones that show up more than once a day by scanning their usual duplication of information. It easier to hit delete and I can do that pretty quickly unless there's something that really peeks my interest.
Well last week one of these blogs posted a notice that Behr Paint was announcing it's first "Color of the Year" by recreating a home on the floor of Vanderbilt Hall in Grand Central Terminal. Well this is the kind of thing I feel compelled to go see. Wave a design carrot in front of me and I'll bite. Here's what Behr had to say about their color choice that got me interested:
"Each year, our team is inspired by what's happening in the world around us and how color comes to life in new ways - in fashion, pop culture, travel, home décor and more. We spend months imagining a palette filled with colors that will reflect what's to come. This year, we were specifically drawn to lifestyle trends of awareness, mindful living and the Danish concept of hygge - the feeling of cozy, comfortable conviviality and well-being."
I had just flown back to New York on the 9th and the post about the event came in on the 10th. I thought this was worth a trip but I wanted to put it off until Sunday thinking it wouldn't be as crowded. Well, it wasn't. It was empty, not only of people but the whole exhibit was gone. Deconstructed after a single day and that day was the 9th, the day after the post introducing the event hit my email. All I saw was a roped off hall so I'm going to have to this one alone.
Behr's color: "In the Moment" T18-15, a restorative blue-green hue honoring nature to create a soothing atmosphere. Versatile and welcoming, this grounding neutral is a serene backdrop to spaces where you unwind and recharge".
I don't want to do a Martha Stewart but once again Behr, I think we were there first.
I've vignetted images from our sweet little Upper West Side apartment to show how we've had this color family on our radar well before you took it on and anointed it your color of the year.
We rented this little gem almost singularly on the fireplace and this beautiful blue-green tile.
We then accessorized it with more blue-green trinkets including a tin alarm clock
We set our Thanksgiving table with vintage "In the Moment" vases, plates on top of blue-green chargers and blue candles that completed our trifecta of blue-green.
Our Pullman kitchen has that sea green tile and we topped it with a row of blue-green matte pottery vases and teapots.
Even our art and pillows draw on that Tiffany blue.
Lets just say, "Behr you were right on with your choice but you could have saved a lot of money and research time if you had just come to us first".




THE GALLERY
Whale Bay, Antarctica, no. 4, 84" x 144", soft pastel on paper, 2016
Zaria Forman, painter
Represented by Winston Wachter Fine Art, Seattle, WA

1 comment: