Saturday, April 24, 2021

SPRING HAS SPRUNG

 SPRING BLOOMS

There's an old adage that goes "April showers bring May flowers"  but here in Wisconsin it's the snowfalls of March that provide the first signs of Spring.  

I was born in early May and my Mother used to tell me a story of how she picked daffodils on the morning of my birth.  All families have stories that grow larger with each telling but I like this story and I love daffodils.  
Actually I love all Spring flowers from daffodils to tulips
down to the tiny crocus, lily of the valleys and grape hyacinths.

Though I have learned to live with the harsh, interminable Winters here with daily fires, cozy quilts and warming stews I spend those cold winter days dreaming of the bounty of Spring's blooms.

Last Fall I did go a little overboard with the Spring bulb catalogs that began to stuff our mail box to overflowing as early as August.  By October I found my self with close to 1,000 bulbs to plant.

As is often the case my wonderful daughter Emmy came to my rescue and with her help we got most of them in the ground.

I have to admit I gave away a lot but now I and my family and yes my neighbors are enjoying the fruits of our labor.













THE GALLERY















Red Poppy, 2015, Sally Gall, photographer, represented by Julie Saul Gallery, New York City


No comments:

Post a Comment